Applications will be accepted until 11:59 pm on March 31
Supporting Documents to be submitted to email@example.com by the deadline.
The Dale Cheney Memorial scholarship fund was established in memory of Daley Cheney, who was involved as a coach and on the Vancouver Thunderbirds Hockey executive for nineteen years. He was a well respected coach who mentored many young players and other coaches throughout many years coaching, and filled a number of roles on the Vancouver Thunderbirds Hockey Board including President before his premature death.
The fund is used to fund up to four scholarships of $500 each which are awarded each year to graduating grade 12 Thunderbirds players who have exhibited good sportsmanship, demonstrated superior academic ability, and intend to pursue post-secondary education.
To be eligible to receive a Dale Cheney Memorial scholarship, candidates must:
- Have been registered with Vancouver Thunderbirds Hockey for at least three seasons including the current hockey season;
- Be enrolled full time in grade 12 during the year of application for a scholarship;
- Have exhibited leadership abilities and good sportsmanship and character;
- Have an above average academic record; and
- Agree that scholarship monies shall be applied to tuition fees at a post-secondary institution within two years of receiving a scholarship.
All applications will require the following additional documents. You may submit any you have now as part of the application process otherwise please submit any remaining documents to firstname.lastname@example.org in one email once you have collected them. Please note that they must be submitted by the deadline.
1) A personal letter outlining the applicant's academic, athletic and career goals, along with any other information that would assist in the consideration of the application.
2) A copy of the applicant's secondary school transcript;
3) A letter of recommendation from the applicant's secondary school principal or counselor;
4) A letter of recommendation from the applicant's current Vancouver Thunderbirds hockey coach;
5) A letter of recommendation from a coach or other person who has personal knowledge of the applicant's involvement with Vancouver Thunderbirds Hockey in a previous year;
6) Any other letters of support providing evidence of good sportsmanship and good character and/or evidence of participation in other sports, groups or community service activities.
Applications must be received by 11:59 pm March 31st. The recipients will be announced at the Annual General Meeting of Vancouver Thunderbirds Hockey held that year.