The Dale Cheney Memorial scholarship fund was established in memory of Dale Cheney, who was involved as a coach and on the Vancouver Thunderbirds Hockey executive for nineteen years. He was a well respected coach who mentored many young players and other coaches throughout many years coaching, and filled a number of roles on the Vancouver Thunderbirds Hockey Board including President before his premature death.
The fund provides scholarships to graduating grade 12 Thunderbirds players who have exhibited good sportsmanship, demonstrated superior academic ability, and intend to pursue post-secondary education.
To be eligible to receive a Dale Cheney Memorial scholarship, candidates must:
- Have been registered with Vancouver Thunderbirds Hockey for at least three seasons including the current hockey season;
- Be enrolled full time in grade 12 during the year of application for a scholarship;
- Have exhibited leadership abilities and good sportsmanship and character;
- Have an above average academic record; and
- Agree that scholarship monies shall be applied to tuition fees at a post-secondary institution within two years of receiving a scholarship.
Congratulations to the eighteen deserving recipients of the Dale Cheney Scholarship awarded at the AGM on June 21, 2022:
Step 1: Submit an application form.
Step 2: All applications will require the following additional documents. You may submit any you have now as part of the application process otherwise please submit any remaining documents to firstname.lastname@example.org in one email once you have collected them. Please note that they must be submitted by the deadline.
All applicants must submit an application form as well as all of the following information:
1) A personal letter outlining the applicant's academic, athletic and career goals, along with any other information that would assist in the consideration of the application.
2) A copy of the applicant's secondary school transcript;
3) A letter of recommendation from the applicant's secondary school principal or counselor;
4) A letter of recommendation from the applicant's current Vancouver Thunderbirds hockey coach;
5) A letter of recommendation from a coach or other person who has personal knowledge of the applicant's involvement with Vancouver Thunderbirds Hockey in a previous year;
6) Any other letters of support providing evidence of good sportsmanship and good character and/or evidence of participation in other sports, groups or community service activities.
TBD for the 2022-23 season