TBirds Coach Application Form
Thank you for your interest in joining the Vancouver Thunderbirds coaching staff for next season. We welcome applications from coaches at all levels of their career as we strive to work with each of our coaches to continually develop and become amazing leaders for our players.
We welcome applications from anyone with a passion to coach young hockey players at the recreational level.
Applications for rep team Head and Assistant Coaches for our 2022-23 season will be accepted until all positions are filled.
If you coached with the TBirds in 2021-22, you do not need to complete this form. If you coached with TBirds previously but not in the 2021-22 season, please submit a form so we have your interest on file.
Please complete the following application in full. Once submitted it will be considered by our Coach Selection Task Group to determine if there is a good fit for you with the TBirds next season.
About Coaching with the Thunderbirds
Our players' welfare is at the center of our every decision as an organization, and we ask that all coaches follow a "player first" approach. We do not place winning as the most important element of the game, but rather the overall skill development of all of our players. We desire to have every player feel valued throughout the season, and we know that the team staff, led by the coaches, play the most pivotal role in accomplishing this.
It is our ultimate goal that every player that dons a Thunderbirds jersey believes hockey should, and can be, a positive part of their life so they will want to play not only throughout minor hockey, but throughout their adult life. This can only be accomplished by having minor hockey coaches that create a positive environment and allow players the opportunity to be challenged. If you are someone who can help us achieve this goal, we want to hear from you!
Within all levels of the association, we strive to provide opportunities for professional development. This starts with providing information and supporting our coaches financially for the clinics they may need to obtain, but it continues beyond the basics. We implemented a new Coach Support program in 2018/19 and are excited to expand what has been started. We want to work with each coach to identify their future coaching goals and find opportunities to help them be successful.
Coach Support Program
- U6 division: A lead skill instructor is on the ice for all ice times prior to Christmas and 3 of 4 ice times every two weeks post-Christmas as we start to train our parent coaches to Soar!
- U7 - U9 division: For the 2022-23 season, we will have two elements of support for our coaches:
- Skill Groups: Vancouver Hockey School (led by Derek Popke) will rotate through all skill groups for these ages with each having a VHS instructor on the ice ~once a month. We will also have additional on-ice support to provide assistance to any skill groups where the parent coaches need support to be successful.
- Teams: Stan Sibert's role is our Development Lead for U7-U9 and our rep division. His focus in this age group will be on mentoring and training our parent coaches.
- U11 - U18 Recreational division: Mike Todd is entering his sixth season as the Director, Player and Coach Development, Recreational. He provides direct support to all recreational teams.
- U11 - U18 Rep division: Stan Sibert is entering his fourth season as the Coach Development Lead working with our rep coaching staffs.
- All divisions: Coach the Coach sessions with guest speakers, on-ice instruction and opportunities to share with other coaches are scheduled throughout the season under the leadership of our Coach Ambassador, Jeff Churchill.