Vancouver Thunderbirds Hockey is one of the largest minor hockey associations in BC and is committed to supporting and developing our coaches.
Our coaches come from all over the Lower Mainland and for the most part fall into one of the following three categories:
- Parents: Most of our teams are coached by parents. The Association covers the expenses involved in becoming certified.
- Non-parent coaches: For some of our rep programs, we contract coaches to oversee the development of these elite players. We have coaches who reside throughout the Lower Mainland and share their knowledge and experience with our Thunderbird players.
- Alumni: Thunderbird alumni who are interested in coaching will always have a home with the Association. We will work with them to identify the best team for them to work with and/or will provide opportunities for them to be on the ice with our skills providers.
Coaches are recruited for all levels from Initiation through to the rep division.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Involvement in player evaluation and selection
- Implementing seasonal progression plans
- Planning and conducting practices and any extracurricular skill development
- Planning and implementing pre-game player preparation and communication
- Supervising players and ensuring compliance with Team/Association rules during all team events
- Strong hockey background
- Required Coaching Certifications (or willingness to achieve them at the beginning of the season)
- Respect in Sport Certification
- Criminal Record Check
If you have any questions about coaching with the Thunderbirds, please email our Executive Director.