What to Expect for U6 2023-2024
Welcome to U6! The Vancouver Thunderbirds U6 minor hockey program focuses on development and fun! This page provides an overview for parents whose 2018 players are entering U6 this coming season.
What does U6 look like?
Players will be divided into two groups: Thunder and Lightning at the start of the season.
There will be two ice sessions per week. These ice sessions could be at any of our Tbirds rinks: UBC, Kitsilano, Kerrisdale, Hillcrest, Sunset, West End, or Richmond Oval.
Ice sessions could be scheduled as early as 7:15am on weekends or starting at 4pm on weekdays. There are no league games scheduled in U6.
Sessions typically begin the second weekend of September and end the first week of March.
Due to the City of Vancouver ice rental process, ice times will be determined mid to late August.
U6 players cannot participate in tournaments. However, U6 players are required to participate in a Tbirds cross-ice Jamboree scheduled for Friday to Monday of the Family Day Long Weekend 2024.
U6 ice sessions will be led by a paid coach to help players off to a great start!
However, we do need moms, dads, even uncles or grandparents to volunteer to be on-ice volunteers. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to complete the online courses and criminal record check required to be a volunteer on ice.
In order to have your volunteer fee refunded, families are required to volunteer:
- 3 hours for the Tbirds Association,
- 3 hours with your player’s ice session and
- 1 shift at the Family Day Tournament.
Currently we are looking for parents to lead the U6 division. This includes:
- 2 Division Ambassadors to help oversee the U6 Division,
- 2 Managers who will manage either group Thunder or Lightning,
- 6 Hockey Canada Safety People (HCSP).Ice sessions cannot happen without a certified HCSP volunteer present. These positions are perfect for anyone with a medical background of any kind or folks interested in keeping kids safe on ice,
- On Ice Volunteers: do you enjoy putting on your skates, helmets and gloves and help out on ice?If so, we need your help!
If you are interested in any of the volunteer positions, please contact us at email@example.com
What Equipment do I need for my player?
Due to safety requirements, players must wear proper equipment while on the ice.
‘Hand-me-downs’ are a great way to save money but be sure to carefully inspect the items to ensure they are safe to wear as when equipment is not fitted, the player may be injured.
T-birds require players to wear:
- Hockey skates
- Hockey stick
- CSA Certified Helmet with full cage in Royal Blue
- Jock or Jill
- Shin pads
- Hockey Pants
- Shoulder Pads
- Elbow Pads
- Neck Guard
- Hockey Gloves
- Water Bottle with long spout
*U6 players will receive a Timbits practice jersey and socks.
Other Recommended Accessories
- Hockey Equipment bag
- Skate guards
- Stick tape
Where can I go to get equipment?
- Cyclone Taylor Sports at 6575 Oak Street offers Tbirds families 10% off.Just mention you’re playing for the Tbirds for your discount.
- Vancouver Tbirds also has an equipment marketplace Facebook Group. To join, please visit Equipment Marketplace