Skills with Vancouver Thunderbirds' Mike Todd
After one of the most successful seasons for the Thunderbirds skill development program in recreational, we are excited about the 2018/19 season. The skill sessions will be taking place on Monday (Atom) and Tuesday (Peewee and Bantam) evenings starting October 15/16.
How to register
Please click on the appropriate division below to sign up for the skills sessions. In order for Mike to best plan the sessions, we do ask that everyone signs up for the sessions this year prior to attending the ice session. Note that we have rotated which group (Standard or Advanced) get the earlier/later times to help accommodate schedules but please only sign up for one session each week.
Atom - Oct 15, Oct 22, Oct 29, Nov 5, Nov 19, Nov 26, Dec 17, Jan 7, Jan 14, Jan 21, Jan 28 - UBC Thunderbird Arena session times 4:30 - 5:20 pm or 5:25 - 6:15 pm - click here to register
Peewee/Bantam - Oct 16, Oct 23, Oct 30, Nov 6, Nov 20, Nov 27, Dec 4, Dec 11, Dec 18, Jan 8, Jan 15, Jan 22, Jan 29 - Kits Arena session times 7:15 - 8:05 pm or 8:10 - 9:00 pm - click here to register
New this year is a focus on players of similar skill level being on the ice together. For each group, there will be two sessions offered:
- Advanced Skills: this is a session that will be offered at a higher intensity and skill level with the expectation that players have a good base of skills especially skating. This group is targeting those that may have a desire to prepare for a future rep tryout or are in the top half of their age division's player group.
- Skating Focussed Skills: this session will provide an enhanced focus on skating and elevating a player's level within the key hockey skills. This session will be targeting the average player with the ability to elevate the level of all players.
These sessions will provide our players the opportunity to have access to additional skill development sessions at no extra charge! If you are a player that wants to improve throughout the season at a faster pace, these sessions are a must for you. Coaches are encouraged to attend for a professional development opportunity. At the sessions, you can expect:
- improved skills which will increase your enjoyment of playing the game
- full integration with the goalies to allow for more shooting practice and game-like situational practice
- a continual program that expands and challenges you over the entire season
This season, we will be integrating the goalie skills session in with the skaters with Steel Goaltending providing instruction at all sessions. As there will be a limited number of goalies who can attend each session, goalies must pre-register for the session they would like to attend.
In addition to the recreational specific goaltender instruction, the Thunderbird Goalie School is a new initiative for the association this season and will provide the opportunity for additional instruction for goalies at all age levels from Novice Major through to Midget in two groups.
Novice Major/Atom goaltenders: Fridays from 4:15 - 5:15 pm at Kitsilano Arena.
Peewee/Bantam/Midget goaltenders: Fridays from 5:15 - 6:15 pm at Kitsilano Arena.
Note: Goalie to Instructor ratio is a maximum of 4 to 1.
Sessions start October 12 and run for 12 sessions with the last session being on January 25. Cost $650. Please click here to register. Space is limited and spaces will be allocated on a first come, first serve basis at each age level.
Note: the Thunderbird Goalie School will not have sessions on the following dates: November 9, December 21, December 28, January 4.